Renovation works had just begun in Villa Cargnacco when Gabriele d’Annunzio donated the monumental complex he was building with architect Gian Carlo Maroni, called Il Vittoriale degli Italiani, to Italy on 22 December 1923.
The donation was completed with subsequent acts (6 November 1930) and decrees that declared Il Vittoriale a national monument (28 May 1925, no. 1050) and elected it to be a Foundation governed by a President and by a Board appointed by the Head of State (17 July 1937, no. 1447).
The latter decree became operational in the aftermath of Gabriele d’Annunzio’s death, which took place on 1 March 1938.