The Amphitheatre

With a marvellous view of the lake, the theatre, which d’Annunzio called the “Parlaggio”, can contain about 1,500 spectators and was built reproducing the ancient structure of the Greek amphitheatre. Gian Carlo Maroni was sent to Pompeii to do fieldwork on the theatre and work started in 1934. It was finished in 1952, after the death of the poet. The amphitheatre is still in use, in the summer months a prestigious season of concerts are held here.